SOPA DE FRIJOLES NEGROS
500 gm Black Beans
3 tbls Olive oil
160 gm Onions, finely chopped
1 Red Capsicum finely chopped
5 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 ½ l Vegetable stock
2 tsp Oregano
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover by 5 cm. Drain and rinse.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium flame. Add the Onions and Capsicum sauté 4 mins, or until the Onions are translucent. Add the Garlic and sauté for 2 mins .
- Add the stock, the drained Beans, Oregano and Bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the Beans are cooked through and softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in Salt and Pepper to taste. Using a potato masher or the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans to thicken the liquid a bit. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Sprinkle each serving with a grating of well aged cheese.