SHASHEMANE JUNGLE CURRY PASTE
1 Spanish onion, chopped
5 Garlic cloves, peeled
2 Lemongrass stems, white part only sliced,
3 cm fresh Turmeric, peeled
6 Coriander roots, scraped and cleaned
2 tbls Galangal, chopped
1 Kaffir lime, zested
1 tbls Shrimp paste, roasted
6 long green Chillies, seeded
10 green bird’s eye Chillies
2 tbls Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp white Peppercorns
1 tbls Salt flakes
- Make the paste, pound the Onion, Garlic and Lemongrass in a mortar and pestle to a paste. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the remaining paste ingredients to the mortar and pound to a uniform paste. Add to the food processor and blend everything together to a smooth paste.
- To make the spice mix, moisten the Coriander and cumin seeds with cold water, then drain immediately. Roast the spices slowly in a small heavy-based saucepan or wok over a medium heat for 10 mins ,they need to be very fragrant when done.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cool, combine with the Peppercorns and Salt and grind in a spice grinder to a fine powder. Pass the powder through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Stir the sieved spice mix into the paste and mix well, then put in an airtight container. This paste keeps in a refrigerator for 4–6 days, or you can freeze it