4 kg Pork Shoulder
cloves Garlic, Peeled
1 Tbls Salt Flakes
2 tsp Oregano
1½ tsp. Gnd Cumin
1 ½ tsp. Black Pepper, Ground
2 Tbls. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ½ cups, or more as needed Fresh Orange Juice
½ cup Fresh Lime Juice
¼ cup Sherry
2 Spanish Onions, Peeled and Thinly Sliced Crosswise
- Make slits all over the surface of the Pork.
- Mash the Garlic, Salt, Oregano, Cumin, and Pepper on a cutting board. Scrape it into a small bowl and stir in the Olive Oil to make a coarse paste.
- Rub the paste all over the outside of the meat, using the handle of a teaspoon or your fingers to force the paste into the slits. Put the meat into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the Orange juice, Lime juice, Sherry, and the onions. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24.
- Remove the Pork from the bag and pour the marinade into a large roasting pan.
- Spread the Onions evenly on the bottom and lay the Pork on top. Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with a lid or heavy-duty foil.
- When ready to cook, pre heat oven. Set the temperature to 160 o c and preheat.
- Roast the pork for 4 to 5 hours, or until the internal temperature is 75 c when read on a meat thermometer. If the bottom of the pan begins to dry out, add more water or Orange juice as needed. Do not let the juices scorch. Remove the lid or foil for the last hour of cooking if you want the skin to crisp.
- Let the meat rest for 20 minutes before slicing or pulling. Spoon the onions and juices over the Pork before serving.