THAI CHILI SAUCE – Nam Prik Pao
¼ cup Coconut oil, plus a little more to finish
4 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
60 gm Spanish Onion, finely chopped
4 Serranos dried
1 tsp Shrimp paste
2 tbls Fish sauce
2 tbls Palm sugar
1 tsp Tamarind paste
1 ½ tbls Lime juice
2 tbls Water
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped Onions and Garlic, frying until they turn light golden brown and slightly crispy 2-3 mins.
- Remove Garlic and Onions from the Oil and set in a bowl to cool. Leave remaining oil in the pan.
- Using a pestle & mortar combine the prepared Chilli with the Shrimp paste, Fish sauce, Sugar, Tamarind, Lime and Water, add the fried Garlic and Onions.
- Pound altogether to form a thick paste. Return this paste to your frying pan and stir it into the Oil over low heat, simmering until you get a fairly even consistency. Adjust the consistency by adding a little more water if you find it too thick.
- Adjust the taste, adding more Fish sauce if you’d like it saltier, or more Sugar if you’d like it sweeter
- Nam Prik Pao will keep for several months stored in a covered jar in your refrigerator.