SPICY MOROCCAN VEGGIE BURGERS
1 cup Quinea
500ml Massel Vegetable stock
200 gm Sweet Potato peeled , roughly chopped
1 Brown onion, cut into quarters
2 tsp Garlic cloves
500 gm cooked Chickpeas
2 tbls extra virgin Olive oil
1 tsp Turmeric
2 tsp gnd Cumin
2 tsps gnd Coriander
½ tsp gnd Ginger
⅛ tsp gnd Cassia
2 tsps Salt Flakes
3 tbls Coriander chopped
¼ cup dried Apricots chopped
2 tbls Almonds chopped
2 tsps SHASHEMANE MOROCCAN HARISSA SAUCE
⅓ cup Breadcrumbs
Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Heat pan over medium heat. Add the Quinea and dry roast until golden brown. Remove. Bring the vegetable Stock to a boil in a saucepan and add the Quinea Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 mins. Remove from heat, sit for 10 mins. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool completely.
- Place the Sweet Potato, Onion and Garlic in a food processor, pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Next pulse the Chickpeas until finely chopped.
- Heat the Olive oil in a pan over medium high heat and cook Sweet Potato mixture and chopped Chickpeas 7 minutes. Add the Coriander, Apricots, Almonds, all the spices, and SHASHEMANE MOROCCAN HARISSA SAUCE. Cook for 2 mins. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Add the sweet Potato mixture to the cooked Quinea and the Breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Add the Eggs and stir until thoroughly combined.
- measure ½ cup of the mixture per patty. Form the mixture into a patty between your hands and place on a plate. Cover with Cling wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Heat Olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, add the patties and cooked 4-5 minutes on each side. Turn the patties once to prevent them from falling apart. Let the patties sit for a couple of minutes before serving to allow them to firm up a bit.