SHASHEMANE SPICED ROAST CHICKEN
1 size 16 chicken
1 Tbls Sea salt
1 tsp Black pepper freshly ground
2 ½ tbls sweet Paprika devide
1 1/2 tsp gnd Cumin
3/4 tsp red Habanero flakes
3/4 tsp gnd Cinnamon
6 tbls Olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
400 gm Sweet Potatoes, unpeeled
500 gm Cauliflower, cut into 2 cm florets
1 Spanish Onion, cut into 8 wedges
- Preheat the oven to 230°. Oil baking sheet
- Pat the Chicken Dry. Starting at the edge of the main cavity, slide a finger under the skin over each breast half, making a pocket between the skin and meat. Rub a total of 1 tbls of salt over the chicken skin and toss a little salt inside the cavity. Sprinkle the Chicken generously with black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the Paprika, Cumin, Habanero flakes, and Cinnamon. Set aside 2 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture for the vegetables. The rest is for the Chicken. Finely grate the zest from the lemon, cut the lemon into quarters, and mix the zest into the spices for the Chicken. Gradually mix in 2 tbls Olive oil to make a paste. Spread a little of the paste inside the cavity, slather it under the skin of the Chicken breasts, and rub the rest of the paste all over the outside of the Chicken. Toss the lemon quarters inside the cavity. Place the Chicken in the centre of the baking sheet and roast for 30 mins. Keep an eye on it and if it browns too quickly cover it loosely with foil.
- Meanwhile, cut the Sweet Potatoes in half crosswise, and then quarter each half lengthwise to create wedges. Combine the Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower, and Onion in a bowl. Add the remaining 3 tbls Oil and toss to coat. Add the reserved spice mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp each Salt and Pepper, and toss to coat.
- After the Chicken has roasted for 30 mins, remove it from the oven. Tilt the sheet pan and spoon off most of the fat. Return the Chicken to the centre of the sheet and spoon the vegetables around it. Return the pan to the oven and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 74°C, about 40 mins longer, depending on the size of the bird. If the skin is getting too dark before the meat is done, reduce the oven temperature to 175°C.
- Transfer the Chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve the chicken and serve with the vegetables.