PORTUGUESE STYLE GRILLED FISH
300 gm Bream Fillets
3 Red Habaneros
2 Candle nuts
100 gm Spanish Onion
1 stalk Lemongrass
1/4 tsp Belacan, toasted
2 tsp Chilli powder
2 Kafir Lime leaves
4 tbls Rice Bran oil
1/4 tsp dark Soy Sauce
Salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste
- Soak the candle nut with hot water for 15 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Slice up Candle nut, Spanish Onion, Kafir Lime leaves and Lemongrass.
- Remove the seeds from Chillies and slice.
- Using a food processor, grind Lemongrass, Spanish Onion, Chillies, Kafir Lime leaves, Candle nut, toasted Belacan, and Chilli powder until it makes a paste.
- Heat pan with oil, and add in the spice paste. Stir fry the spice paste with low heat until the oil splits from the paste.
- Season with Salt and Sugar, and continue to stir fry until all the Sugar and Salt are melted.
- Lastly add in the dark Soy Sauce and Lime juice. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Blanch the Banana leaves with boiling hot water for 1 – 2 mins. By blanching the Banana leaves, it become pliable and will not easily torn when folding it.
- Fold the Banana leaves into a rectangular box that can fit in the fish fillet. Lightly grease the inner of the Banana leaves.
- Lay the fish fillet into the Banana leaves tray, and spread the cooked spices on top of the fish.
- Grill the fish on your BBQ until it is cooked. Or you can grill it in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 mins or until it is cooked at 180 degree. Garnish the fish with some shredded Kafir Lime leaves and a wedge of Lime on the side.