Who doesn’t love chocolate mousse?! This is a safe bet for parties, and an easy option as they can be made well in advance and
just brought out of the fridge when needed. Chocolate and chilli is a Mexican thing, and a marriage made in heaven!
• 225g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
• 150g good-quality white chocolate, chopped
• 4 medium eggs, separated
• 3 tablespoons caster sugar
• 12 tablespoons mixed nuts, crushed, reserving a few to decorate
• 1½ small red chilli (medium–hot), deseeded and finely sliced
• 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
• 375ml double cream, softly whipped
- Melt all the chocolate together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, ensuring that the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Set aside to cool, but not to harden. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until thick and pale. Use a metal spoon to fold the chocolate into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the chilli, orange liqueur and nuts (saving some back for decorating at the end). Mix well and fold in the whipped cream. Whisk the egg whites in a second large dry, clean bowl until stiff. Gently fold in the egg whites to the chocolate mixture, mixing the ingredients together. Pour the mixture into six dessert glasses (each about 250ml), cover with cling film and chill for 3 hours until set.
- Just before serving, remove the cling film and decorate with the remaining crushed nuts